From December 2022, LABPLAS is accepted as part of the EU mission "Restore our Oceans and waters"
What is the mission?
With a 2030 target, the EU Mission “Restore our Ocean and Waters” aims to protect and restore the health of our ocean and waters through research and innovation, citizen engagement and blue investments. The Mission’s new approach will address the ocean and waters as one and play a key role in achieving climate neutrality and restoring nature.
Specifically, we are contributing the Mission Charter.
The Mission Charter calls for joining efforts to achieve the three objectives of the Mission Restore our Ocean and Waters by 2030 to:
- Protect and restore marine and freshwater ecosystems and biodiversity, in line with the EU Biodiversity Strategy 2030.
- Prevent and eliminate pollution of our ocean, seas and waters, in line with the EU Action Plan Towards Zero Pollution for Air, Water and Soil.
- Make the sustainable blue economy carbon-neutral and circular, in line with the proposed European Climate Law and the holistic vision enshrined in the Sustainable Blue Economy Strategy.
To reach these objectives the Mission is also putting in place two enablers:
- Digital Ocean and Water Knowledge System
- Public mobilisation and engagement.
The EC want to establish a simple, inclusive and inspirational framework to enhance cooperation, align intents with other partners, mobilise resources and develop activities to deliver on the Mission objectives. This Charter is non-binding and open to any public or private interested parties.
LABPLAS as part of the mission
For now, our project will be displayed on a dedicated website for the Mission Charter Actions and included in Mission Ocean and Waters materials and tools. The actions will be publicly available in the new year, but we would like to inform you in advance about the results of this assessment!
Additionally, our project will be presented through a poster in the first edition of the EU Mission “Restore our Ocean and Waters by 2030” Forum event. This event is taking place on 17 February 2023 at the Royal Museum of Fine Arts of Belgium in Brussels.